I have chosen to revise my first lesson to incorporate what we have learned in class and improve the lesson. You can check out my initial plan, target, reflection, as well as the progress I have made in using that information to improve and revise my lesson and my teaching by clicking the links provided.
Here is a link to the first lesson plan (without revisions): ELA 8: Descriptive Writing
Here is a link to the target (with observer comments) that accompanied it: Target 1
Here is a link to my reflection about how the lesson went: Week 2 Blog reflection
Here is a link to the revised lesson plan: ELA 8: Descriptive Writing (Revised)
For further information on my PDP, here is a link to the target for the following week: Target 2
Reflecting on the Revising Process
I chose to revise my first lesson because I felt that the lessons and experience I have learned from, since teaching the English Language Arts lesson in my first week of teaching, would allow me to improve the lesson to be more effective than it had been. Part of what could have gone better was my teaching techniques which I have since worked to improve and such progress can be noted in comments made in my second target (link above). However, improvements to the lesson plan would also increase the effectiveness to the lesson. I added more adaptive dimension, considered differentiate more deeply, and incorporated Treaty Education. I felt that the lesson reached high levels in Blooms Taxonomy in that they were able to use what I had taught them to create sentences and stories that were descriptive and used different sensory language to create vividness and imagery. The lesson asked students to not just memorize, but create something new from what they had learned in the lesson.
Additionally, while I did provided an adaptive dimension and differentiation I felt that I could do even more. In addition to listing prerequisite knowledge I considered what I might do for students that don’t have that level of knowledge. I decided that the information could be given directly so that students could work on writing first. I stated that because the focus of the lesson was not on spelling or grammar, but using sensory words to create vividness in a story that’s what I would be evaluating on. Students would not be meeting the outcome by using descriptive words. Moreover, I added other ways for students to provide me with material to evaluate whether or not they met the outcome. Students will be allowed to orally and pictorially provide the needed information. I added these to reflect the ideas we have worked on in class, such as working with diverse students and student needs/abilities. Since not all students begin with the same level of knowledge or show their learning in the same way I wanted to provide extra ways through the lesson plan for students to be successful.
I also added treaty education, which I had previously overlooked. The class was working on historical fiction stories and adding descriptive language to their stories, so the treaty education outcome I included fit the lesson well. It allowed treaty education to seamlessly fit into the lesson. In addition to showcasing descriptive words students could relate it to their own assignment and also to a bigger idea of the history of First Nations people in Canada. I think it is important to provide examples from often othered voices and stories and I know it is part of my job to include treaty education in my lessons. While it wasn’t a stretch to include a First Nations narrative at the beginning of the lesson and therefore provide an aspect of treaty education, I think it is deeply rewarding to do so.
My hope for the revisions I have made to the lesson plan is to be able to teach the lesson again, but see how it is more effective with the changes. The feedback provided by my cooperating teacher and others has helped me find ways to add adaptive dimension and treaty education to the lesson. My own experience has given me a better idea of what might make the information reach the students better and how I can provide an education that can work for all students. I think that actively editing my lesson and considering how changes might make the lesson work better has helped me consider how I might do this somewhat pre-emptively with other lesson I am planning. I look forward to making similar revisions to other lesson I have taught, so that I can build up a portfolio that not only reflects me as an educator, but also provides ideas for future use.